Sunday, August 15, 2010

Task 11: The Angry and The Enthusiastic

I found the video about what students want from their teachers incredibly frustrating. I definitely think there is a place for student input, technology, and collaboration in the classroom. But, there is a really significant problem with the assumptions made by the students in the video. The assumption is that they know the skills that they will need when they get out of college. Students may not realize what they are learning is useful or what they may need when they leave college. One of the young women interviewed was surprised when she was "denied" a request to make a movie instead of submitting the required paper. Really? Maybe the professor wanted to assess her ability to write, not her ability to make a film. When I took education classes, the suggestion was often made to allow students to alter assignments and play to their strengths. This can be effective, but also dangerous. You must work on your weaknesses, not just your strengths. This is annoying and frustrating for students, but necessary. I have met with a personal trainer some this summer. I hate working out my back and biceps. I mean, I really hate it. But, I would not receive the same benefits if I ONLY worked areas where I am already pretty strong. I think the same holds true for students---even they may enjoy making a movie, it is important for them to learn to take lecture notes, write papers, and synthesize readings. Again, this does not mean that technology and innovation cannot occur in the classroom, but one should proceed with caution, and not throw out the baby with the bath water.

OK, enough angry, and now the enthusiastic. I have been exploring Weebly, a site that helps you create a website with blogging capabilities. Although this is similar to a wiki in some respects, I think you can create a cleaner website more simply. Also, the site can be password protected, and I can review blog posts BEFORE students post them. I think it allows for flexibility and control. Although my website is under construction, check it out. If it prompts you for a password, simply use the password that we use to access the Paideia intranet.

The basic version of weebly is free, but in order to have the privacy settings I desired, I had to order the "pro" version. They have a special rate and version for educators, and it costs $40 for the year. I found a coupon, and I spent less than $30. The pro version also allows EVERY student in your classes to create their own website. I may use this feature at some point in the year, and I think it is an exciting option.

In terms of my immediate plans for weebly, I hope to have it up and running during the first week of classes. For all of my classes, I will use the site to post assignments, articles, and the course calendar. I am also hoping very soon to use the blog feature with the students in my World Religions class to discuss topics outside of class. I may even integrate an RSS feed I created during Pi2.0. If the blog works well, I will use it in my other classes.

In short, I am excited about weebly, and hope it will take my website into the 21st century.

No comments:

Post a Comment