Sunday, August 15, 2010

Task #10: New Cool Tools

I am a big fan of most of the Google "tools," and like many others, I use Google every day. I suspect Gmail and Google searches are not new to most people. Educators may use Google Scholar or the blogging tool that we all used for this course.

So, in an attempt at some originality, I want to mention two lesser known Google tools. The first is Google's Patent Search. For a history teacher, this is a pretty interesting tool. You can search for the original patents and drawings for inventions. I am not certain, but I think that this tool only applies to patents from some time in the nineteenth century to the present. For example, I could not find the patent for the Whitney's cotton gin, but I could for several modifications to his original invention. Still, I think students would really get a kick out of this research, and they would be looking at primary documents.

The second Google tool I really enjoy personally is Google Voice. Google Voice allows you to make free long distance phone calls through the Internet. But, I tend to use it for other features. If people call my Google Voice number (which you choose), it rings to both my home and cell phone. Also, the voicemail message is sent to my e-mail, and I can read the transcript or listen to the message online. Finally, I can text from my Google account using Google Voice. I love this feature because I hate texting on my phone's keypad, so I can send texts from my laptop. Since my wife cannot always receive phone calls at work, but can often text, this is pretty helpful. Google Voice has many custom features; so for example, if you do not want your Google number to ring to multiple phones, than it won't. Oh yeah, and it is free.

No comments:

Post a Comment